Monday, June 23, 2008

Light at the end of the tunnel...

After 14 months of age and 14 ear infections, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel!!

Today Cade and I ventured on to the holy second floor of the Naval Hospital....where a special clinic resides....a clinic that we have waited so long to be seen by....the ENT clinic (the heavens are parting up above!). Cade has struggled for so long with chronic ear infections and no antibiotics that have helped it. With very long sleepless days and nights with high fevers, sinus infections, coughs, upset tummy, severe diaper rashes from said antibiotics, it's been a never-ending battle for our little guy. As a mother, all I want to do is take the pain away from him, but my capabilities ended with many many snuggles, tissues, numerous doctor visits, popsicle runs, Desitin cream, and cool washcloths. I wanted to do more for him, and he deserved more. It took a very nasty side of "Momma Bear" to come out, a side not often shown, to get the proper care for my son. And I got it!! My special referral to the ENT Clinic, where I could get my questions answered and the help needed to make my son feel better. To show him there is more to this life than 105 degree fevers and continuing ear pain.

So today at our first official appointment, we met Cade's new ENT doctor. A kind, patient man with a firm handshake (a big plus in my book, I think it tells a lot about a person). He went over Cade's Audiology report from his hearing tests and that was all the evidence the doctor needed to suggest Tubes for Cade's ears. If his THICK chart wasn't enough to convince him, the tests proved it all. Cade's hearing test showed limited to no mobility of his ear drum. This in turn means he has so much blockage in his Eustachian tubes, that they can not drain on their own. Cade has been, and is still, hearing us in muted tones. Think underwater conversations. Bless his heart! My poor lil man. So hopefully in a couple days, we'll hear from the surgery ward and get our son scheduled for his first surgery! Do NOT get me wrong....I DO NOT want my baby to go through a procedure that involves general anesthesia, but I know this will be the best decision we can make for him in the long run. I know he will be in good hands....the Lord's hands...and will watch over him and keep him safe during his surgery. I promise to keep everyone posted on when this surgery will take place. But in the meantime, can you please keep Cade and our family in your thoughts and prayers. This is a very big step for us, for Cade, and your support means so much to us!!

Like I said, there is light at the end of this long journey.....and let me just be the first to tell you....IT'S A BRIGHT ONE!!!
Love to all!
xoxo

2 comments:

Anne said...

Aww Brooke! I am so glad you're finally getting answers and results. Cade will be a much happier and healthier baby :)

Ricky and Sara said...

I'm so glad the consult went well. Please keep us updated on when the appointment is for the tubes to go in. Thinking of the little man!