Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Window of opportunity"

When you are a parent, you fully understand the phrase "window of opportunity". Especially when planning your day around naptimes, feedings and toddler personalities, to get a laundry list of errands done. With an newborn, this window is usually 2 hours max...but we all know that by the time you get OUT the door, you're down to maybe an hour to get anything done. If you are one of the brave parents out there, you stretch that hour in hopes that your child is sleeping and they won't be aware of their next scheduled feeding....therefore giving you another half hour or hour. I have not been one of those fortunate ones. My children are supremely aware of what time it is and have not be been blessed with the virture of patience. 2 recent incidents come to mind. Today I'll share one. Let me paint a little picture....

It is 4:00 o'clock and I have just picked up the boys from daycare. Based off Cole's daily sheet, he was to receive his next feeding at 5'oclock. Aka...window of opportunity was an hour. Cade had just had his afternoon snack, so he should have been good. By the time we left daycare, I had 40 minutes left of my "window". I knew I needed to go to Publix to get dogfood, milk and something for dinner. Surely I could do all this in under an hour. Ha, think again. En route to Publix, I hit 4:30 traffic on St. James Ave...time is a ticking people....drive! Then of course, as luck would have it, I hit every.single.traffic light. 20 minutes left....Cole was now stirring. I could hear him grunting in the backseat, which could only mean one thing....he was working on a poopy (yes I said poopy). We finally arrive at Publix (5 mintues to 5'o'clock) and we head to the hot deli area because Cade and I have decided that chicken tenders sound good for dinner. We glance at the hot case to see approximately 4 tenders left. I ask how long it will be before the next batch is up...chicken man says, "10 minutes". I look at Cole who is stirring but not awake yet and said "that'd be fine". I go ahead and leave my order with him so that I can grab my other groceries while they continue cooking. Just as I round the corner from the hot deli case...Cole's eyes pop open! It is officially 5:00 o'clock....and the little man knows what's next. Food time. (Didn't I tell you about his super power of knowing exactly what time it is?!). But instead of beginning the lip quiver to notify me his "alarm" (cry) would be following shortly, he goes red in the face, squinches up his nose and pushes. Yep. That poopy made its apperance. Only it wasn't just a poopy...it was an explosion! Cade immediatly shouted, "mommy, did you hear that?!" Oh buddy, did I ever. I followed with, "Buddy, do you SMELL that?!" hehe. Ok people, it's time to get serious. Super Market Sweep has officially been brought back in the form of the Shamblen Family and it's time to SHOP FAST! We fly through the aisles, grabbing only the necessities, knowing full well that Cole has made "room" for his next feeding. (Which if you're paying attention to the clock, is now PAST 5 o'clock). Cade thinks this is the best ever and is giggling through Publix yelling "faster mommy faster". Suddenly, the lip quiver arrives on the Colerbear and all systems are a go for full meltdown. If there is another trigger for Cole's unhappiness, it's a dirty diaper. So now not only is he hungry, he's got a fully loaded diaper. Double whammy! PLUS, since I was only going to be a few minutes in the store, I didn't bring his diaper bag. Of course. So we run by the deli counter, grab our chicken tenders....meanwhile catching glances of patrons in the store. Yes, yes, I'm THAT mother. Deal with it. I hurriedly check out, get the kiddos in the car and speed home, all the while Cole is wailing at a decipal I've never heard of. I think at one point dogs were following us home ;). We fly up into the driveway, Cade has joined in on the fussing because he can smell the chicken tenders in the car and he wants them NOW. Not a minute later. We get inside and Cole has managed to cover himself and the carseat, so he's a dripping mess literally from head to toe. Cade wants his tenders and I had a grand plan of making mashed potatoes and peas to go along with said chicken. I realize that's not going to happen. I instead open the chicken carrying case on the kitchen floor, put Cole to me (poo and all) just to stop the screaming and tell Cade to DIG IN, dinner is served. Phewww what an adventure. When in doubt...don't mess with the window of opportunity, You'll lose!

No comments: